Friday, March 25, 2011

Upgraded Firefox 4. and can't run on this mac need firefox 3

I (without thinking) automatically let firefox download the newest version, it said it would run on Mac OS 10.4 which I have on this minimac. Well....it won't work with this version, and I had overwritten Firefox 3. whatever-now I cannot find the older version to reload so I can get back on line! Using old version of Safari right now.
Has anyone got the download for Firefox 3. whatever was last version so I can load it up?
I probably have lost all my bookmarks, passwords, everything...
was planning on upgrading Mac OS 10.4.11 to OS 10.6 but one tech says it can be done another tech says this mac won't support it.
I need some help-this computer is the hub of my graphic business!

Reply 1 : Upgraded Firefox 4. and can't run on this mac need firefox 3

check this out:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

A Mac Mini, running OS X 10.4.11 as the hub of your graphics business!

P

Reply 2 : Upgraded Firefox 4. and can't run on this mac need firefox 3

I couldn't find it using google on safari because every 'site' I checked has been 'upgraded' to download the new version 4.
I am not a computer 'geekhead' (no offense) but use my macs for doing graphic work, invoicing, running vinyl cutter, etc.
Still running blue/white, gray/white, even an old IIsi or something out back. I have a newer minimac up in the house but only to get 'online' and it holds Illustrator CS5 suite. Just can't get rid of the mini mac I"m on now-still running Macromedia Freehand as my 'main' graphic program and 12,000+ fonts plus tons of clipart. Sometime this month IF the tech can guarantee it will work I"m having this mini running Tiger upgraded to 10.6 and then I can run Firefox 4. But I followed your link, did the download, and all my bookmarks, etc. are back-it did take them 'back' from the version 4 I guess-or whatever it does. I'm back on-line!
Thanks again for your fast response.

Reply 3 : Upgraded Firefox 4. and can't run on this mac need firefox 3

Two things...

First, it is pretty clearly stated that Firefox 4 requires 10.5 or later as you can see here: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Mac?s=requirements&as=s

Note the yellow box right at the top.

Second... Mac Mini... Mac... Mini. Mac is the brand name, Mini is the specific model name. You don't say Focus Ford, or Chicken Noodle Campbells.

And sue me, there's a third thing... If you have an x86/Intel CPU in your Mac Mini, then odds are with a little RAM upgrade, you could run 10.6 without issue. Of course you'd probably want to have someone else do that, because on the old style Minis, they really aren't designed for the average person to take them apart. First you'd need to make sure yours is an x86/Intel Mini and not a PowerPC Mini, the latter being limited to 10.5, and it looks like the Mozilla developers have dropped PPC support with Firefox 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment