Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bought Used Computer. Having Trouble doing System Restore

Hey. I bought a 2007 HP Pavilion Slimline with Windows Vista Home Basic on it. I looked up how to do system restore on that particular model and all the tabs they mentioned are non existent on my computer. I than tried the f11 key during start up and that didn't help. I'm looking for a way to wipe the computer and revert it to it's original condition without having to turn it on (or maybe turn it on but not have to go to the desktop). Is there some way I can do a system restore in safe mode? Of maybe unscrew the back of the tower and take something out and than put it back in? I don't know, hit me with your ideas please!

Reply 1 : Bought Used Computer. Having Trouble doing System Restore

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00809678 notes to not remove it but many do. To fix it you order the recovery media or install another OS.
Bob

Reply 2 : Bought Used Computer. Having Trouble doing System Restore

So If I installed Windows XP it would also revert the computer to factory settings?

Reply 3 : Bought Used Computer. Having Trouble doing System Restore

But if you have no other choice, why not try?

Reply 4 : Bought Used Computer. Having Trouble doing System Restore

I don't like to put money on the table until I'm almost %100 certain it'll work. My two options so it seems, are to order the recovery discs for $30 or buy Windows XP for $80 + shipping. Which is the better and most effective option for erasing all of the previous owner's programs and making the computer like it's never been used. I mean new name, new user, new passwords, only the original programs...
Oh, or I could take into Staples or Best Buy and have them perform a recovery for $100.

Reply 5 : Bought Used Computer. Having Trouble doing System Restore

They could have because my model should have the recovery manager. Anyway, just ordered the recovery disc from HPs website and they'll be arriving in a day or two. Thanks for your help.

Reply 6 : Bought Used Computer. Having Trouble doing System Restore

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment