Thursday, March 17, 2011

Everything seems to run slower as I leave my Mac on.

13" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X version 10.5.8, 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

When I turn on my Mac after being powered off everything runs as expected. However, if I leave my Mac running or sleeping for a long time and return back to use again all the applications operate sluggishly. Not to the point where it's a crawl, but opening Safari or iTunes and other applications takes just a wee bit longer. Should I be concern or is this normal performance due to leaving my Mac on?

Reply 1 : Everything seems to run slower as I leave my Mac on.

That depends on whether or not the performance eventually returns to "normal". Much like you may sometimes be a little groggy after waking up from a nap, the same goes for your computer as it goes about doing a bunch of behind the scenes stuff.

It's normal for it to be slightly slower for a couple of minutes after coming out of sleep. It should pick back up within 5 minutes however. If it takes longer than that, or never returns to the same speed, then some program you leave running all the time quite probably has a memory leak.

No comments:

Post a Comment