Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I may have posted this before, but given my own difficulty

with posting, accidentally hitting Enter before I'm finished, accidentally hitting that key on the right lower keyboard between CTRL and ALT which deletes whatever text you've been working on, and if you've typed anything in the interim (like the next letter in the word) you cannot Right Click and Undo. I can't tell you how many times I've hit that when reaching for the caps key.

I have moved, out of a mouse infested, occasionally cockroach ridden room overlooking perhaps the second noisiest street in the city to a huge, repeat huge one bedroom in the distant west of Toronto. I'm now a comfortable one block walk to frequent busses (every 5 to 8 minutes) a pleasant 3 block walk to the Humbertown Centre with a nice Loblaws (the most successful of the local chains) and with good soundproof windows and a very quiet street with a regular speed trap out front (there's a school at the top of the hill). I have left the windows covered by translucent plastic venetian blinds which allow the light in and wake me in the morning. (My previous apartment had black-out blinds, I was very depressed when I moved in.) There are nice walks, very nice if pricey homes in the neighbourhood, easy access to friends and all my stuff !! I have a 100 year old Persian rug on the floor which needs a certain amount of vacuuming and steaming to bring it back to life, all my antiques, virtually all my books, and all my CDs DVDs VHS and PAL VHS.

First I have to go through all the boxes and find the CDs, and DVDs and VHS tapes, and repair and build shelves for them. Then I have to separate all the records and put them on the lower 2 shelves of the book cases, then I have to separate all my books into categories (most of them are labelled but Nancy went through some of them looking for something to read) and get them onto shelves too. Then the family photographs go up top and I'm home, for the second time in my life, but Nancy ran interference on that process too so I'm home on my terms for the first time.

Did I say I was happy? I am ecstatic !!! despite falling not once but twice during the move and its aftermath The first a Buster where both feet flew out in front of me and I landed on my back and head, and the second a couple of days later when the ice was all gone but I caught my toe on that most dangerous of Toronto predators, the heaved paving slabs on the sidewalk. I caught a toe as I was looking at all the nice buildings and didn't get my arms and hands up in time so I went face first into the concrete bruised and spread my nose and bit through my lip in the process. Well I cleaned myself up and pressed on and got groceries, and nibbled on the grapes while I waited for a cab. Mistake. Big Mistake. Nice sweet grapes from Mexico loaded, or was it covered in E. Coli. I will spare you all the details, which were detailed and unpleasant beyond the dreams of man. It's taken a week but my stomach muscles no longer hurt and all else is fine. Naturally, if I try the Grapes, I will wash them in anti-septic soap, put them aside while the sink fills with clean cold water and individually rinse the little suckers then put them on a clean tea towel to drain. And hope that what I've done is sufficient because the next step is a nasty letter to Loblaws Head Office run by people my good friends the FitzGeralds went to school with, the Westons. Walk softly but assure you're accompainied by a big bunch of extremely wealthy and well connected friends.

Rob

Reply 1 : I may have posted this before, but given my own difficulty

fingers of someone who doesn't habla "Wash Your Hands Before Leaving".

There are lots of methode-s in France. Methode-Champenoise means you've followed the proper rules for making Champagne, but if your grapes don't come from Champagne the best you can do is Blanc petillant a la Methode Champenoise or sparkling white wine made in the fashion of Champagne. There's a lot of that that is absolutely the dog's male protruberances from behind. Ends in locks.

Back me up on this Mark, is that not an accurate circumlocution for high praise in Britain?

There are very very good Spanish wines of methode Champenoise. We had quite a lot at our wedding in 1979 and because the labels looked like Dom Perignon the cognoscenti went in a rush to consume it, and were saying very nice things about it until this horrified cry came out of the middle of them, Spain !!! It's made in Spain???. His father took another drink and said, "It's very well made in Spain too. which shut Nick up very quickly, because Dad was the acknowledged authority on all comestibles. He taught me to drink Single Malt, and though I never got the hang of Laphroaig, I was stuck on Lagavullan and Glen Morangie until my @%$%^%* $#^*# of a wife went to Scotland and got a taste for it, and I could never keep a bottle in the house after that. But now ...

Things that can break up a marriage "I don't mind you drinking my $50 bottles of Scotch if you'd just buy one to replace it." Of course I can have 6 drinks in a year and feel myself satisfied. Nancy could have 6 drinks in an evening and consider herself just started.

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment