Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Performance with an SSD and whole disk encryption

My current machine is a 2009 MBP, C2D @ 2.53 GHz, 4 GB, and -- the worst part -- a 5400 rpm hard drive. I use PGP WDE to fully encrypt said hard drive, as I prefer that approach to the current container approach taken by FileVault. I am aware that FV under 10.7 is expected to be a WDE approach, similar to MS's Bitlocker.



I'm wanting to upgrade to an SSD given that that's my current bottleneck, and I can purchase a new Crucial C300 SSD, 256 GB, for about $405 shipped. I formerly had an SSD in a Vaio Z, and I miss that "seat of the pants" increase in performance.



My question is this: given the performance hit under PGP WDE, even in 10.1.1, do you think that it's worth the cost to go from an encrypted 5400 rpm drive to a close-to-top-shelf SSD? Things like this -- http://anthonyvance.com/blog/security/ssd_encryption/ -- make me see it both ways.

Reply 1 : Performance with an SSD and whole disk encryption

the 10.7 whole disk encryption on my MacBook Pro using a OWC SSD cut the read/write speed of my SSD in 1/2.

Reply 2 : Performance with an SSD and whole disk encryption


Quote:








Originally Posted by altecxp
View Post

the 10.7 whole disk encryption on my MacBook Pro using a OWC SSD cut the read/write speed of my SSD in 1/2.



Have you also checked what it does to battery life? Since the CPU has to work to decode/encode every file access, I would suppose it shall decrease it in not so small proportions...

Reply 3 : Performance with an SSD and whole disk encryption


Quote:








Originally Posted by altecxp
View Post

the 10.7 whole disk encryption on my MacBook Pro using a OWC SSD cut the read/write speed of my SSD in 1/2.



Ouch. That's about on par with PGP, best I can tell. Do you suppose FileVault (10.6 version) has the same penalty? I have an SSD coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment