Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4l. petrol auto 1996 PCM/ECU problem

This engine on this vehicle occasionally stops running. It always restarts OK. It does it about every 60 miles.
I have read the forums and shortened the PCM cover screws. One time it was ticking over but the gas pedal and gear selector did nothing. Stopped engine and restarted and all OK.
I am convinced the problem lies with the PCM and want to replace it but this does not seem straightforward. I have two queries as below.
1) Can someone explain why a replacement PCM needs to be reprogrammed by a Jeep dealer before it will work.
2) Secondly I cannot find a PCM with exactly the same numbers on it. I assume the replacement must have precisely the same numbers. Am I correct?
The existing unit has the following sets of numbers JJ90581G/P56041/T2965/167/ZBSAA.
HELP please, or I will have to scrap it which just might put me off Jeeps altogether!!

No comments:

Post a Comment