Monday, March 21, 2011

Q: work place conduct and anonymous whistle blowing

OK... so I work 2 jobs, one of them a retail electronics chain. I look at it my extra job as just a job, a necessary evil wink I do it mostly for the health benefits (which I needed a couple of times over the past year). Otherwise, I could support myself with freelance work.

I try to go to work, do my job, and leave. However, I found out yesterday that I am being drawn into work place politics in a particularly nasty way.

We have a manager in training (MIT). A young woman who is doing her darndest (limited by being very immature) but has picked up some glaringly bad habits along the way that the boss is aware of but has never done anything to correct (boss has his own issues).

Well, the young lady was turned in through an anonymous email to corporate HQ by some resentful employees. I did not know about it and would have advised other channels before going to this choice, had I been asked. Human resources looked into it, but could not make anything stick, so no course of correction has been made. The MIT is of course, resentful. And as - I am told - been playing a guessing game wondering who turned her in. In the course of wondering out loud, she has narrowed her suspicions down to 2 people. A new employee of 4 months and me. The new employee came to me yesterday, warning me of this situation. He found out about it by overhearing the two people who turned the MIT in, laughing with our boss... over the situation and the mistaken identity !!!!!!!

What to do? This 30 year old guy is looking for guidance (it's an extra job for him too) because we are both being played as fall guys in a very ugly situation. I am not very happy but I need the extra income and benefits. I could move to 2 other chain locations within a 20 mile radius, but if I did, then the shadow of being a "narc" would follow me (I already got unexplained dirty looks from a friend of the MIT who works at another location). I obviously can't go to my boss to rectify the situation and confronting the MIT with "I didn't do it" is going to accomplish little while getting me deeper into the bickering.

Any ideas?

Reply 1 : Q: work place conduct and anonymous whistle blowing

Find a time when most if not all are together and then bring it up. Although at first embarassing and everyone will hate that it was brought so glaringly into the open, it will let the steam off the situation and flush the conspirators on both sides into the open.

Shine a light into a dark place.

Reply 2 : Q: work place conduct and anonymous whistle blowing

I don't know what the habits are but you've got to think this "MIT" is wet behind the ears and still testing the waters. One should never feel intimidated in their job. I'm not sure how comfortable you are with your HR department as being a true ally but I'd start by going there first and having a heart to heart with someone laying out all that you know or have heard. It's not always best to go directly to the source of the problem without consulting HR first. My two cents.

Reply 3 : Q: work place conduct and anonymous whistle blowing

But I'm with the others. Bring it out into the open, and let the boss sort it out. That is his job.

Mark

Reply 4 : Q: work place conduct and anonymous whistle blowing

Someone told on the MIT.

The new employee told you that you were both under suspicion.

Saying it wasn't you will make the real informant come forward?..Not likely.

Years ago there was a safety concern on a job I was working on. Someone else on my crew notified the Department Of Labour, and they came on the site and checked it out. I was "blamed" for calling them. I told some fellow workers that I wasn't me,(when questioned about it) but I knew who did it (because that person told me). I didn't tell them who was the person that called.

Unless you know who did it...you won't bring everything out in the open.

If someone else brings it up...You didn't do it, and you don't know who did.

OR

You don't know who did it...BUT you know who didn't.....YOU.

Reply 5 : Q: work place conduct and anonymous whistle blowing

... I found out after the complaints were made, but before I was drawn into the fray. The irony, of course is that the one who dropped the dime on the MIT is one of the MIT's "closest" workmates (along with 2 others). Their end game - after their gambit to get the MIT in trouble has failed - is to point the finger of suspicion at everyone else.

I could care less about all the hurt feelings of the people who are infighting but this is a commission job. These kinds of shenanigans can hurt the quality of prospective customers that are fed my way. 30 plus hours at work of this crap and the other 30 I spend at my home job makes for a long week. I don't need this middle school crap.

Reply 6 : Q: work place conduct and anonymous whistle blowing

Post a link to this article for the boss and the MIT?

It comes in handy when I'm talking about customer service. That's because delivering good customer service requires front-line workers to receive support from co-workers - in effect, a chain reaction of teamwork that is consistent from beginning to end. And the chain of assistance is only as strong as its weakest link.

Not dealing specifically with whistle blowing...but when workers aren't happy...the customers/competitors can tell.

Tell the boss and the MIT to settle it behind the Gym after school?

No comments:

Post a Comment