Thursday, March 17, 2011

M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)

Tomorrow morning I will be receiving my M11x r1 and I can't wait to test this system out. I can't thank everyone enough for the posts so far on this forum to help with any information.



Background: I purchased this laptop for use with graphic design and presentation purposes. To clarify, I am not planning on doing extensive work on this laptops screen but other monitors located at my office and house. However, when on the road and needing to work on touch ups and quick viewings to customers, I am really disappointed at what I've read regarding the screen (and yes I've read all 30+ pages regarding this topic).



I found a buried forum post a couple days ago at people looking into a different monitor to replace the current one in their system. Myself, I was looking for something with less light bleeding and most important a better color gamut.



Has anyone continued looking into this? For someone like me, I found screens from $80.00 to $175.00 and I know many might not require this mod, I think enough people love this laptop enough to make this worth while. Especially, if we buy in bulk, the price of these LCDs drop dramatically.



My work so far:



1.New player - HORI 11.6 LCD 720p for Ps3

Newegg.com - HORI 11.6" Widescreen LCD HD Monitor for PS3 Slim



2. HUGE collection all under 100.00 practically (IBM, ACER, ASUS,....)

11.6 Inch



3. Gateway Model (used in various systems)

Skyline Engineering: Gateway Acer 11.6" LED Netbook LCD





Also: Regarding the bezel and the fingerprints, has anyone looked into possibly having a NEW bezel created that can add some space between the screen and the keyboard? This is definitely something EVERYONE would want and by buying a bunch together it could easily be made locally in the US. Aluminum or plastic, but just something that will recess the screen away from the keys just enough. If this is the case maybe a new screen protector could be looked into that could allow for a bigger screen to be installed if the 11.6's are lacking in quality.



I know most are satisfied with this, but I figure with so many posts on this subject there is definitely a market out there for this. I wouldn't mind looking into this and specifically contacting some of these companies that carry LCDs and discussing with them alternatives.

Reply 1 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)


Quote:








Originally Posted by magic0200
View Post

I know most are satisfied with this, but I figure with so many posts on this subject there is definitely a market out there for this. I wouldn't mind looking into this and specifically contacting some of these companies that carry LCDs and discussing with them alternatives.



I've been looking into the exact same issue myself (Well, I wanted a matte screen, and could live with the color but this isn't my primary machine.) As to the 11.6 screens from ebay, the screen the M11x comes with is the AUO B116XW01. I recently got my hands on a matte LG 11.6" screen, but even though spec wise they're the exact same screen the viewing angles on the LG seem worse to my eyes as does the color gamut. Currently there seem to be (3) 11.6" screen variants out there, LG, AUO, & Samsung. I haven't been able to track down a Samsung myself but between the LG and the AUO, my eyes prefer the AUO.



This prompted me to find an original matte AUO 11.6" screen, and that's pretty much where i got stuck. The problem with the paptek, screen wholesalers is that they claim that their screens are original AUO but in reality they sell what they call "a compatible screen" to the AUO, which turns out to be the LG, which I suspect at the moment is the cheapest common denominator or it's the one the most in stock. The two links you provided up there are to the LG screen, the LP116WH1 & LP116WH2. I went so far as to contact AUO as to sourcing the screen but they only deal with OEMs. Though if anyone out there has a hookup in china, we might be in business. I will say this, there is a LP116WH4 which I suspect is the screen used in the new Macbook Airs (which supposedly are good screens, i dont have access to an air so i don't know.) Unfortunately, no one seems to have the WH4.



I have found (and this is my own opinion) that the AUO screen looks better without the glossy front plastic piece, have given up on the matte screen (for now) and have been working on a new bezel (pic attached, i'll paint the thing a flat black eventually) I've been tweaking the model since then and am about to order a new prototype.



It was difficult to say the least to get the front cover off, so i'm attaching my new bezel with screws in case i ever need a warranty repair, i'm going to have to reattach the original cover and i've stressed the mounting tabs enough getting the thing off.



I was going to come up with a comprehensive post once i was done with the prototyping but hell, why not now?

Reply 2 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)

Wow. I am very impressed with what you've done so far. Essentially that piece your making could be made into plastic or stamped aluminum (however dye prices these days are either really expensive or really cheap). If we could find a better screen and tweak what you have to go with an upgraded screen, you could sell a set.



AND since I found someone I can bank ideas off of...

Amazon.com: ACER ASPIRE 1420P WITH TOUCH PAD LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 11.6" WXGA HD LED DIODE (SUBSTITUTE REPLACEMENT LCD SCREEN ONLY. NOT A LAPTOP ): Electronics







What about using a macbook air screen? - EDIT, you were already on top of that. I live 20 minutes from a MAC Store... question is does the screen part # exist in the About Mac Section???? I'd be more than glad to go get the info myself .

Apple MACBOOK AIR 11.6 replacement Laptop LCD Screen $99.99 Brand-new screens (never used).

- Seen this price ( probably not actual screen and see it up to $315.00)

Although glossy the color correction on this screen will be grade A.



Alright so:

1. MBA Screen - Look for Manufacture and model # - Apple Store Visit

2. Your prototype - have you looked into costs yet for fabrication / materials? Also, any work on thinning out bezel width and adding a larger screen?

3. Touch panel - using webcam connection this might be worth it too. See Asus pc mods on youtube

Reply 3 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)


Quote:








Originally Posted by magic0200
View Post

Wow. I am very impressed with what you've done so far. Essentially that piece your making could be made into plastic or stamped aluminum (however dye prices these days are either really expensive or really cheap). If we could find a better screen and tweak what you have to go with an upgraded screen, you could sell a set.



AND since I found someone I can bank ideas off of...

Amazon.com: ACER ASPIRE 1420P WITH TOUCH PAD LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 11.6" WXGA HD LED DIODE (SUBSTITUTE REPLACEMENT LCD SCREEN ONLY. NOT A LAPTOP ): Electronics







What about using a macbook air screen? - EDIT, you were already on top of that. I live 20 minutes from a MAC Store... question is does the screen part # exist in the About Mac Section???? I'd be more than glad to go get the info myself .

Apple MACBOOK AIR 11.6 replacement Laptop LCD Screen $99.99 Brand-new screens (never used).



Although glossy the color correction on this screen will be grade A.



I'm in nyc so i guess i could take a look though i'm not going anywhere near a Apple store today I got in touch with laptopscreen.com early on and they only have the WH1s in stock, which is the same screen I have on hand. I can't tell which one that acer one is (they conveniently cover the ID sticker) though I believe the aspire screen is of the same family line as the AUO used in the M11x r1, at least when they come out of the factory. Though by the placement of the connector in the picture i'm pretty sure its B116XW02 not the B116W01 as in our laptops.



Also, much like there's a WH3 on the LG end theres a W03 on the AUO end which might be a better screen but like the WH3 no one seems to have it, glossy or matte.



Edit- following your own edit to your post.



I had started to put together a build log thread for the bezel but never bothered publishing it a few days ago. I think you've prompted me to pull the trigger on that one, in order to gauge interest.



-I've looked at cost materials but at the moment we're still talking about a small production run order. So fairly expensive-ish ($80 a bezel)

-The touch panel idea interests me though i've also got a wacom tablet screen hybrid (basically building my own cintiq) that i'm working on and fills that niche for me. there's also very, very little space behind the bezel, i don't think you'll get the 1/8" that a capacitive touch screen requires.

-Thinning out the bezel is not a problem, finding a larger screen that's compatible is.

Reply 4 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)

I'm actually in Albany myself.



So from all your work you've pretty much spotted a lot of issues with possible replacements at this point in 11.6 (excluding MBA and possibly 1 / 2 others).



Now question 2, what about a different screen size? Of course this requires a lot more work and probably not with the time, nor the money.

Reply 5 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)


Quote:








Originally Posted by magic0200
View Post

I'm actually in Albany myself.



So from all your work you've pretty much spotted a lot of issues with possible replacements at this point in 11.6 (excluding MBA and possibly 1 / 2 others).



Now question 2, what about a different screen size? Of course this requires a lot more work and probably not with the time, nor the money.



Different screen size might be fine (there's a few 12.1" out there that might fit within the screen housing), what trips me up is the connector itself. I've found a couple of "better" larger screens (my primary pc is a vaio Z with the 1600x900 13.1" screen) but the connectors don't match in pin count. At best we'd have to come up with an adapter of some sort, at worse the LCD timings won't match up and you won't get an image. Had this issue with my homemade cintiq tablet attempt. Something i forgot to mention is that while i DID get the LG screen working, the backlight didn't cycle correctly. It would go from full on bright to full on dark with nothing in between. I think that component is just wired differently between the LG and AUO.

Reply 6 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)

We'll I can' thank you enough for the work but the problem no seems like with connector, timings, and dimming capability... this may not work out

Reply 7 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)


Quote:








Originally Posted by magic0200
View Post

We'll I can' thank you enough for the work but the problem no seems like with connector, timings, and dimming capability... this may not work out



Well...i haven't given up yet, but between job and other life commitments i don't get to work on this as much as i'd like. So i probably won't have any developments for a while past getting the new bezel together. One screen i have been interested in is the one used in 11.1" vaios but we're back at the connector issue. Who knows maybe a circuit designer can give us a hand on that one.

Reply 8 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)

Finding a panel with a wider gamut would be great, but how would you know what you're getting? My gf has a 13" MBA and when I calibrated it a couple of months ago I didn't really look at the results close enough. I'm sure it's at least a little better than the 2 AUOs have had. My colorimeters are at the office, so I'll calibrate hers again next week and post photos.

Reply 9 : M11x r1 - Update on screen replacements / bezel (enhanced color)


Quote:








Originally Posted by slickie88
View Post

Finding a panel with a wider gamut would be great, but how would you know what you're getting? My gf has a 13" MBA and when I calibrated it a couple of months ago I didn't really look at the results close enough. I'm sure it's at least a little better than the 2 AUOs have had. My colorimeters are at the office, so I'll calibrate hers again next week and post photos.



There's no real way to know, at best all we can do is identify potential replacements and try to find laptops that use said panels.



The thing is with the exception of the MBA and Sony's last generation of ultra ultra portables which use that 11.1" (toshiba panels) screen size, most other 11" laptops use some flavor of LG or AUO screen. The LG i tried to use was a pull from an Acer Aspire. Other than the 11.6" MBA (whose model number i can't confirm) i haven't found another 11.6" laptop that doesn't use the same AUO or it's LG equivalent screen that's in the M11x.



I think if we're ever to find a suitable replacement for the M11x (unless MBA screen eventually pans out) with better IQ we'll probably have to try to adapt a different screen size altogether. As far as i can tell a 12.1" screen might fit but the screen housing would either have to be heavily modded with a dremel, (there are just too many standoffs in the way) or we'd have to start from scratch and create a new screen assembly. That's not to say that either would be impossible, far from it but i don't see us being able to drop a larger screen into the lcd assembly as-is.

No comments:

Post a Comment