Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Aftermarket Bluetooth

So I am thinking about installing a bluetooth card in my machine. I did not order one originally.



After searching these forums, one user says here to use a Dell 365 card for the M11X. When I shop around for one, each is listed for a different Dell system. My question is: Are these cards all the same? Are they interchangeable in Dell systems?



Any insight would be great before I go any further with this. Thanks!



Camp

Reply 1 : Aftermarket Bluetooth

I believe they're all the same. I got an aftermarket BT adapter off ebay (from Singapore). It installed without a hitch. Just make sure you watch the teardown video closely before you start (search youtube for "m11x teardown" if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Reply 2 : Aftermarket Bluetooth

Just a thought, but if you get a Bluetooth 3.0+HS you may be able to piggy back Bluetooth data on the 802.11 WiFi.



The M11x currently comes with Dell 365 Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR card



Dell also supplies the following Dell 375 Bluetooth 3.0 card.


While Dell has sold Bluetooth daughter cards in portables for several years, the Dell Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module is a new smaller version of a daughter card. The card connects to the system board using a cable. The card is smaller than the Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth daughter card but provides the same reliability and the new Bluetooth 3.0 standard. The card works in Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. This product has been tested and validated on Dell systems. It is supported by Dell Technical Support when used with a Dell system.



  • Support for Bluetooth 3.0
  • Uses latest Broadcom 2070 based low power, low cost, small form factor, ROM based Bluetooth chipset
  • Improved range performance by using off-board LCD integrated antenna
  • Uses onboard meander antenna when performance with this is sufficient
  • Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Ubuntu and Linux support
  • Bluetooth 3.0 Enhanced Power Control to maximize range and read encryption size for enhanced security
  • Additional Bluetooth Profiles Health Device Profile, AVRCP 1.4, OBEX 1.4 and OBEX enhancements, Enhanced L2CAP with flow and error control
  • Audio improvements for Windows 7
  • Windows 7 user interface improvements
  • Backwards compatibility with all Bluetooth standards
No point in buying out dated tech if newer hardware adds value.

Reply 3 : Aftermarket Bluetooth

The M11x-R2 Bluetooth adapter is indeed a new smaller version of what I've seen in the past. Here's a pic:



http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5251/...ef0cc9e4_z.jpg



You can get one on e-bay:



Dell 2.4 GHz Wireless 365 Bluetooth EDR Latitude E4300 - eBay (item 320588890162 end time Apr-09-11 00:09:03 PDT)

Reply 4 : Aftermarket Bluetooth

Thank for the info on the 375 Bluetooth card.



I will definetely get this.



I have been thinking of getting a usb adapyter because I wanted Bluetooth 3.0. With the 375 card I can get just what I want.

Reply 5 : Aftermarket Bluetooth

I'm interested in the Dell 375. Although I already purchase a cheap bluetooth mini dongle, I realize I prefer a built in one and a free usb port. Do I need to buy a pin cable?

Reply 6 : Aftermarket Bluetooth

From the looks of it, there's a connector on the motherboard that the BT card drops into, so no cable.

Reply 7 : Aftermarket Bluetooth

Great! Thanks for the reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment