Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Proceed Amp 5: Repair or Replace???

I have an Amp 5 that has stopped working. I contacted an authorized repair place (the Service Bench in MA) and they wanted $800 for service and $250 for parts. This is in addition to shipping (it weighs 120 lb.). This was a $5000 unit new.

Even at its age, it is still one of the best performing multi-channel amps around and I want to keep it but given the high cost of repair, I'm having second thoughts. Anyone faced this situation? Any advice? How much would a used Amp 5 or comparable cost? How much could I sell this non-working but repairable unit for? Where's the best place to shop for and sell audiophile equipment? Cheers!

Reply 1 : Proceed Amp 5: Repair or Replace???

I don't think anyone can answer that because we are not in your shoes..so to speak. Only you can make that decision.

Now lets do some math here. Lets say it cost $1200(freights added in) plus all the works of packing to get it repair. But if my understand is correct, $1200 is too high for you to keep it; then how much do you want to sell it for? Remember one thing, it's not how much you paid back then (as a buyer..I don't know) but how much I can get a similar system now.

As for selling place, I always heard of Ebay and Craglist. Personally I have never done any business with either. One other thing; I WOULD NEVER BUY A MALFUNCTION SYSTEM at any price. I have no recourse if I can get it repair. You understand my view? Good luck.

Reply 2 : Proceed Amp 5: Repair or Replace???

corrections:("as a buyer..I don't know" should read as a buyer..I don't care), Also should be "I have no recourse if I can't get it repaired".

Reply 3 : Proceed Amp 5: Repair or Replace???

I won't fix my amp due to cost, but I love the amp too. Not sure what to do. Do you want to sell me the amp for parts?

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment