Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hamster Free Video Converter

I was trying to update my installation of the Hamster Free Video Converter using CNET's TechTracker. I downloaded the .exe file and ran it and during the installation of the new version, my AV (ESET NOD 32-latest version) stopped the installation and gave me a yellow warning that it was trying to install a potentially unwanted toolbar. What should I do?

Reply 1 : Hamster Free Video Converter

otherwise we limit ourselves to just two posts.

What size is this .exe file you downloaded? If it is under 20MB, upload it to http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-gb and use that site to run a scan with 20 or so Anti-Virus scanners. See what results are displayed.

Sometimes our AV's give us what are called "False Positives". They wrongly mark files as holding viruses when the files are clean. See what Jotti says, and if the scans come up clean, then it is more likely that Nod has given you a false positive.

If you are still not comfortable, visit Nod's web site to see how to send the file to them to check.

Hope that helps.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment